|This fan-fiction article, Caldigi, was written by Adalwulf of Aedirn and Witcher190. Please do not edit this fiction without the writers' permission.|
Caldigi of Cidaris, or
Caldigi Meric Avan was a lesser-known Witcher of the Northern realms, known School of the Cat master witcher and later Master Witcher and trainer of Apprentice Witchers for the School of the Fox. He was an active Witcher before and following the Second Conjunction of Spheres.
Early Life (1182-1192)
Caldigi had a fairly standard childhood born into the Cidarian Aristocracy. He grew up in a noble manor with servants to wait on him, but he was always expected to behave and impress.
Caldigi made a friend in his childhood (1190)
An apprentice bard named Lanvan later titled of 'Of Ban Gléan' the two met while travelling with his family on business, the two boys became close friends.
Caldigi is left in the wilderness by his father (1192)
One day for seemingly no reason at the age of 10, Caldigi's father left him in the wilderness to fend for himself. Not long after this Caldigi's family was imprisoned for crimes against the Kingdom, despite this charge Caldigi's family the Avans are well-respected in the Kingdom, and Caldigi despite being turned into a witcher is still noted in the family roster as an active member.
Caldigi is taken to the School of the Cat (1192)
A few days after his father left him in the wilderness near starving, dirty and tired, Caldigi was found by a Witcher of the School of the Car though he was considered relatively old to become an Apprentice Witcher, the Witcher decided to give the boy a path forward in life.
Training at Dyn Marv (1192)
Caldigi was taken to the Cat School to the Dyn Marv Caravan, a traveling troop of witchers who sold their skills to anyone who could pay, for any job. Many of Caldigi's trainers and procters for the process worried he wouldn't take to the transfomation due to rushing the timetable of his process and the somewhat soft lifestyle he had been accustomed to.
The age at which Caldigi underwent mutations was 10, not even half a year into his training.
Caldigi, was not subjected to extra experiments during his initial trials. He was marked as having passable mutations, and was allowed to proceed in his conversion.
While sword training was important, Caldigi, a budding scholar during his time in Aristocracy took to spending most of his free time in the libraries of the Caravan studying the monsters of the world and taking notes, readying himself with information for the coming years.
Caldigi was subjected to the Choice, eating the herbs and mushrooms alongside his training, his reaction to the experience was noted as being within the norm of expectations.
Trial of the Grasses
Caldigi passed The Trial of the Grasses without a problem. While his training had been somewhat harder because of his 'advanced age', his many memories especially of his loving mother bolstered him during the seven days in which he took the Trial of the Grasses. Their mutations and training flayed Caldigi's emotions, and he struggled for many decades against violent, cruel impulses.
Trial of the Dreams
After his rescue, he underwent the Trial of the Dreams to mutate his eyes. He showed no issue with the procedure. His eyes develped the characteristic amber color of most witchers.
Trial of the Pendulum
A trial that was performed shortly after the Trial of the Dreams. Less dangerous than the previous ones. The trial helps to further improve reflexes and speed. Due to its low danger. Survivors of the Trial of the Grasses passed it easily.
Trial of the Mountains
As it did not seem that Caldigi wouldn't full mutate he was not subjected to the Trial of the Mountains.
Circle of the Elements
Like other Cat Witcher trainees before him before he could graduate Caldigi was ordered to elementally charge his medallion at a Circle of Elements. An older witcher took Caldigi and his fellow trainees to a Circle of Elements located on a mountain hidden in a Gemmarian forest. The Circle of Elements had attracted a coven of Hags, and the trainees had to avoid or kill them to reach the peak. Two of the trainees died to the Hags. Upon reaching the peak Caldigi performed the ritual and successfully charged his medallion before returning to the older witcher to be led back to the caravan with his fellow trainees.
Caldigi graduates from the Cat School (1202)
Caldigi graduated with full honors. Thus he officially became a recognized witcher of the School of the Cat. And in that same month, he would leave the caravan along with his other fellow graduates to start his first year in The Path.
Caldigi saved a Craftsman (1203)
Caldigi ended up saving a male craftsman from being killed by thugs. After this event the two have remained acquaintances.
Caldigi's friend the Craftsman betrays him
Caldigi's connection with the School of the Cat comes to a head as his acquaintance the craftsman mentions him to a mage an event that leads to Caldigi getting kidnapped by said mage.
Caldigi is kidnapped by a mage and experimented on
Its no secret that Mages lust after the secrets of Witcher mutations. At some point in his life, Caldigi was captured by a mage who experimented on him in an attempt to reverse-engineer them.
Witcher Tournament ( 1210s - 1220s )
Caldigi was not present during the Witcher Tournament due his kidnapping. Caldigi was unhappy at the news of Radowit's treachery, thinking he might be hunted down he purposely avoided and ignored contracts in Kaedwen for a few decades as his way of punishing the kingdom and atoning for his school's crime.
Caldigi embraced the 'reputation' of the Cats
Eventually all the negativity and thankless people got to Caldigi— and he decided that with fewer and fewer monsters, it was time to start hunting people.
First Northern War (1262 - 1263)
Caldigi was following The Path in Aedirn moving from contract to contract, when word of Cintra's fall reached him. He could feel dark tidings coming for the rest of the Continent.
Second Northern War (1267 - 1268)
Caldigi was asked to participate in the Second Northern War at the request of King Venzlav of Brugge, he took the coin and survived the Invasion of Brugge cleaving his way through Scoia'tael Commandoes. An exhausted Caldigi regretted his involvement in the battle, suffering from survivor's guilt.
Third Northern War ( 1271 - 1272 )
Following the fall of Dyn Marv Caravan, Caldigi hears of a School to the south that will take in Cat School Witchers, he makes his way to the Southern part of Vicovaro. After talking with the Grandmaster Narce of the School of the Fox for a while he is allowed to integrate into the School.
Second Conjunction of the Spheres (1358)
- Lanvan of Ban Gléan [Bard]
- Birrexi of Povis [Witcheress]
- Hostile, non-sentient monsters
- Witch Hunters
- Church of the Eternal Fire
- Fallen Knights
- Haaki Invaders
- Lord Edwards Avans (Biological Father)
- Lady Victoria Avans (Biological Mother)
Personality and Traits
Standing 5' 8" tall, muscular with pasty skin, Caldigi has a moody feel about him.
He has alert amber eyes and his hip-length, straight, auburn hair is pulled into a bun.
He usually wore masculine clothes that were slightly too small.
Skills and Abilities
- Crossbowmanship: While it wasn't a weapon he was originally trained in, Caldigi adapted to the use of crossbows to hunt monsters. He used his enhanced senses to make highly accurate shots like at a distance or in pitch darkness.
- Expert Hand to Hand Combatant: Like other witchers, Caldigi learned to protect himself without his swords, able to defeat multiple armed opponents while being unarmed. His enhanced strength and knowledge of both humanoid and monster anatomy allows Caldigi a better chance unarmed than most people, able to shatter humanoid bones and use monstrous momentum against large monsters to throw them to the ground.
- Swordsmanship: Like most Cats, Caldigi was thoroughly trained in fencing, particularly the style practiced by the School of the Cat, The Addan Aenye, The Fiery Dancer.
- Witcher genetic mutations: Before even entering adolescence, witchers apprentices were subjected to painful and potentially lethal mutative procedures with the goal of reshaping their bodies. The result of these mutations, when successful, were strength and speed far exceeding that of a normal human, capable of matching those creatures which preyed upon humanoids.
- Sterility (which partially explains selection from outsiders, as they cannot breed to pass on their traits).
- Cat-like eyes that grant very acute night-vision - witchers can constrict their pupils to see in blinding light or open them to see in near pitch darkness. This night-vision can be further enhanced with the cat potion, but in general, it is good enough by itself to not require further enhancement. Their entire sensory system is overall enhanced, allowing them to identify the species of animal from the scent of their blood, and detect nearby beings even when out of sight.
- Witchers possess a disease resistance that borders on absolute immunity. This tremendous resistance to disease (which functions in most cases as complete immunity) and a boosted immune system, allowing them to consume large quantities of potions that could prove easily deadly if consumed even in small amounts by a normal man.
- Witchers possess a enhanced peak human condition brought about by training and mutations which results in exceptionally enhanced strength, speed, reflexes, and endurance, far beyond any normal or well-trained human, that allows them to swiftly end fights with minimal effort, and perform physical feats non-witchers couldn't hope to match. A witcher's physical skills alone are sufficient to defeat most monsters single-handedly if combined with extensive training and proper weaponry, whereas regular men could only hope to accomplish this in large groups. Witchers have also been shown to shrug off hits that would normally render normal men unconscious. Additionally, they have been known to survive the strikes of powerful monsters such as giants, or other beings possessing herculean strength, that would otherwise kill others with a single blow. Its generally thought a witcher is 10x stronger than a normal man.
- Having the ability to perform simple yet incredibly versatile simple magic in the form of signs. They also develop a sixth sense that allows them to "feel" things around them, be it items of importance or people's immediate intentions. This explains their uncanny ability to track and hunt people and monsters.
- Witchers' possess a Regenerative Healing Factor usually granting quick(er) recovery from injuries. While not instant healing a witcher's healing time is highly unusual taking a fraction of the time to heal as well as surviving more deadly wounds possible. For example when slashed in the neck by a Striga's talons the famed witcher Geralt of Rivia it only took him a few days to heal before he was back on The Path.
- Witchers' possess the ability to receive mutagenic materials from monsters and process it into their being through witcher decoctions. This allows a Witcher to take on traits and the improved conditions of the monster, this is a incredibly dangerous process so a witcher can only handle one or two decoctions at a time, as a inbred safety precaution if a witcher already has two decoctions in their system and takes a third one, the oldest decoction's effects are overwritten.
- It is unknown if a witcher has semi-immortality or a life extension as no known witcher has died of natural causes but witchers have incredibly long lifespans and prolonged youth. While each witcher is different, a witcher's known life expectancy is varied as they usually died in battle.
- Extra mutations: Because of his mutation at the School of the Cat, Caldigi has an extra mutation.
- Resistance to Charm attempts of a physical nature.
- Signs: A simple form of combat magic that witchers use.
- Aard: Aard is a simple magical sign that draws from the Plane of Air or the Astral Plane (Research has so far been inconclusive about the type of Chaos particularly) that is used by witchers. The Aard sign is a simple magical sign used by witchers that directs a blast of telekinetic energy to stagger opponents, leaving them open for a subsequent attack. Aard can also blow out any existing fires, blast open poorly secured doors, or punch through cracked or damaged walls.
- Igni: The Igni sign is a simple magical signs that draws from the Plane of Fire that is used by witchers and causes a burst of fire that can repel and ignite opponents, as well as start fires.
- Quen: The Quen sign is a simple magical sign used by witchers that draws from the Plane of Earh to form a protective field around the caster. Quen's basic ability is to cover a witcher in a basic shield that absorbs a limited amount of damage.
- Quen Alternate Form- Active Shield: Quen's alternate form creates a bubble of protective energy to form around the witcher it is stronger than the original form but is more draining on the witcher and requires them to remain in place.
- Yrden: The Yrden sign is a simple magical sign used by witchers that draws from the Astral Plane to form a circular, magical trap. The trap triggers a certain number of times when traversed by a foe, causing knock back, damage, and a chance of inflicting ailments on its targets Most foes that wander into the ring are significantly slowed, though some monsters are unaffected by it. Yrden is one of the witchers best tools for controlling multiple enemies in melee range. It's also particularly valuable for witchers when up against noonwraiths and nightwraiths, who remain incorporeal most of the time unless caught within a Yrden circle.
- Yrden Alternate Form- Magic Trap: Yrden's alternate form creates a stationary glyph of magical energy that strikes at and slows down hostile forces within a certain radius, as well as destroys and projectiles that happen to pass through that radius. Multiple Magic Traps can be placed down at once by experienced witchers.
- Axii: The Axii sign is a simple magical sign used by witchers that draws power from the Plane of Water that can charm an opponent's mind to stun them, temporarily eliminating them from combat. However, the stun effect disappears after seven seconds or when the target receives harmed. This sign can be used by witchers to calm their mounts or on people to gain information or benefits. This sign can usually only affect one person at a time and its effects are visible to other people in the vicinity. Caldigi was particularly fond of using this sign and specialized in it, able to glean a bit more power into the sign then his fellow Witchers.
- Axii Alternate Form- Puppet: Axii's alternate sign forces an enemy to temporarily become an ally and fight on your side during a conflict for a short time as well as boosting their physical abilities for the duration of the conversion.
- Signs: A simple form of combat magic that witchers use.
- Alchemy: A brewing process for making potions, oils, decoctions, etc of the witcher trade.
- Witcher Potions- Using alchemy Caldigi is able to brew potions which have calculated effects on witchers but are toxic to most other mortals.
- Witcher Decoctions- Using alchemy Caldigi is a able to brew decoctions which are a stronger type of witcher potion often using monster parts as ingredients, and have stronger effects. Only a few decoctions at a time can be used at once as they are much stronger than conventional witcher potions.
- Weapon Oils- Using the alchemical process and using dog or bear fat as a base Caldigi is able to brew oils to coat his swords in to deal more damage to certain types of beings and creatures.
- Bomb Recipes- Through alchemy Caldigi was able to make bombs with different effects.
- Witcher's Cat Medallion: Caldigi's witcher medallion, bearing the cat head symbolizing his school.
- Later replaced by Witcher's Fox Medallion: Caldigi's witcher medallion, bearing the fox head symbolizing his school.
- Hand crossbow: A small 'pistol' style crossbow that can be fired one-handed and easily reloaded. A similar model was used by School of the Crane witchers during their first years in the Western Continent.
- Bolt quiver: A quiver of crossbow bolts of various types that Adalwulf uses to hunt monsters and the occasional human.
- Silver chain : Used to combat and bind monsters such as strigas, and werewolves.
- Cursed Ones:
- Caldigi has wintered with other Cats in Dyn Marv, after the fall of the School during his journey south, he would pay for a inn room in advance until his integration into the School of the Fox, in which he'd winter at Burov Mylne.
- Caldigi is 5'8" ft (1.76 m) tall.